Gas fireplace inserts are a convenient alternative to wood-burning units. They are easy to use and maintain. The perks of gas fireplaces are that there is little cleanup involved and they are easy to light.
If you are considering installing a gas fireplace insert, or converting a current fireplace, there are a lot of options available. Fireplace inserts come in all shapes and sizes, and you can easily customize the insert to fit the style of your home. But with so many options, how do you know which gas fireplace insert is right for you?
How to Choose a Gas Fireplace Insert
When you are considering your options for a gas fireplace insert, there are a few important things to consider:
- Venting Type: Fireplace inserts come in direct-vented, natural-vented, and ventless. The type of vent system you need will depend on your home. It is best to have a professional installer assess your home to make sure you purchase the right venting system and ductwork.
- Fuel Type: A gas fireplace unit will operate using natural gas or propane. Natural gas generally produces more heat, but you will need a line installed to your home. Propane prevents the need for gas line installation, but you will need to regularly replace the tank.
- Heating Efficiency: A gas fireplace can really boost the comfort and warmth of your home. But it’s important to choose a model that is appropriate for your space and needs. Depending on the size of your room or home and the type of venting you want/need, you may need a larger unit or a specific type of fuel for maximum efficiency.
- Budget: Gas fireplace inserts come in a wide variety of options suitable for most budgets. There are plenty of affordable options out there, but you also need to consider any accessories, ductwork, firebox installation, gas line installation, etc. Most homeowners find it helpful to get a quote from an installer or team.
5 Best Gas Fireplace Inserts for 2022
With so many options, it can be overwhelming to choose just one. After doing some research into the best-selling and most recommended models, consider these 5 gas fireplace inserts that may be just what you are looking for:
1. Duluth Forge Vent Less Gas Fireplace Insert
Duluth is a well-known brand, and this model has consistently positive reviews as a good overall fireplace insert. This ceramic insert can heat up to 1,350 square feet. It comes with a remote and an oxygen depletion sensor to help keep your home safe. The Duluth Forge can easily slide into an existing fireplace box, or can be customized to fit your home. As for the price, this unit is affordable with a cost ranging from $999 to $1,400 depending on where you shop.
2. Kingsman Direct Vent Fireplace Insert
Kingsman fireplace inserts are considered “high end.” You can choose from natural gas or propane, and can choose which igniter suits your needs. The Kingsman Direct IDV33 insert is a metal unit that is highly customizable. You can choose which type of logs you want, the color of the exterior, and the type of surround. With so many customizable options, this unit does have a higher price point, but is still affordable at just under $2,000.
3. Pleasant Hearth PHZC32F Vent Free Gas Firebox
If you are looking for a simple and affordable fireplace insert, then this Pleasant Hearth model is worth a try. This fire box does not come with logs, which allows you to customize your hearth. It can be used as natural gas or propane, and offers zero-clearance installation. At less than $500, it is one of the most recommended affordable options.
4. Empire Tahoe Deluxe Direct Vent Fireplace
Direct-vent gas fireplace inserts have more versatile installation options because they can be vented horizontally or vertically. You also use outdoor air for combustion, which makes the unit more efficient. The Empire Tahoe Deluxe comes with everything you need to get your fireplace set up. It has a brick liner and comes with six ceramic logs that look authentic. The only “downside” to this unit is that you need a protective barrier because the glass does get hot to the touch. For the size, style, and overall ease of this model, the price of $1,500 is reasonable.
5. Empire Comfort Systems Deluxe Keystone Series B-Vent Fireplace
This Empire model is one of the most recommended natural vent models. Also called a B-vent, this model vents vertically like a traditional fireplace. The unit pulls in air from the room for combustion, and will vent out the top of a chimney. The Empire Comfort uses natural gas and is best suited for heating smaller areas or using more for ambience. With no fumes, it is a great option if you want a truly comfortable fireplace.
Building the Perfect Fireplace
One of the best things about gas fireplace inserts is how versatile they are. If you want something that is easy to manage and maintain, a gas unit is ideal. As noted above, there are a few things to consider before choosing a fireplace model. The best way to get an accurate idea of cost and efficiency is to work with a professional gas fireplace installer.
To find out more about gas fireplace inserts and installation, contact The Fire Man. Get a free quote on our website, or call us at (706) 897-1873